ANSWER: YES and YES!
Though the term Newsjacking sounds criminal, it is not, nor is it a bad thing to do. Quite the contrary.
Newsjacking is when marketers ride the wave of existing demand associated with breaking news for increased SEO exposure.
However, talking about the Syrian crisis without making any connection to your audience or their connection to your brand, is just a waste of time and space. Most businesses won’t have difficulty finding a link to breaking news that relates to their offering.
Using the Syrian reference: If you conduct business in that region or you’re in/service an industry heavily impacted by slight shifts in the crude oil prices, making a link is relatively easy.
Just remember these rules:
- Serve the reader’s desire for news, facts and opinion while relating your offering to their world
- Pay attention to the keywords being searched for in a particular breaking news story
- Research both the pros and cons of the breaking news’ subject matter for how it may impact your audience.
- Does the nature of the “link” enhance your brand?
- Syndicate your content quickly to be found when other news organizations search for sources.